I first wrote about this in A Beginning of a Crunchy Conservatives Guidebook. Go there if you want to read the why’s 🙂
This recipe comes straight from Donielle at NaturallyKnockedUp.com and if you click on that link, you’ll be able to watch her tutorial video, also, she’s great. If you don’t want to watch the video, below is my step by step instructions, following her method and recipe.
Store bought “all natural” or “organic” deodorant is expensive and frankly, doesn’t really work. The fact is, there is not a homemade or natural deodorant type of product that is going to work similar to the crap full of chemicals stick that we all grew up using. If you’re trying to find or make products that help you to minimize your chemical & aluminum intake, prepare yourself for a process and give yourself time to adjust. Whatever you try, use it consistently for some weeks before you try something else.
That being said, I like this one better than anything I’ve bought. You use very little, and know immediately if you’ve used too much! I’m comfortable with every ingredient in it, it’s easy to make and so cheap! And also, depending on whether or not and how many essential oils you use, it smells so, SO good!
Things You’ll Need:
- A medium – small sized mixing bowl
- Small wisk or spoon
- An empty Deodorant tube – some of them leak, or break when you’re trying to screw the plastic piece back to the bottom so that the tube can be filled, but I’ve found the Tom’s tubes do NOT leak and can be used multiple times.
- If you don’t have a deodorant tube, any small plastic or glass tupperware will do. I’ve found it best to use something that is waterproof if you plan on taking this on trips, to the gym, or basically anywhere outside of your bathroom in the summer time.
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 5-6 T of coconut oil, melted or at least softened
- 10-15 drops of Essential oils of your choice
Now that you have all of your supplies and ingredients together you can begin! It’s easy peasy 😉
- Mix everything together, stirring until it’s all incorporated
- Press it into your deodorant tube or container. If you melted the coconut oil than obviously it will be runny. Once you pour it in the container, put it in the fridge and it will firm up quickly.
A couple of things to note – CO has a melting point around 70 degrees, so in the summer your deodorant is simply going to melt. I have used the following options:
- Keep it in the fridge. Wake up, groggily walk to your fridge and put the deodorant on the counter while you finish the rest of your morning routine – hair, face, clothes, breakfast, whatever. It should reach room temperature quickly and you can swipe it on easily
- Keep it in the fridge. When its time to put it on, take it out and stick the c-c-c-cold tube on your skin for a couple of seconds to melt, then swipe it. I don’t like this option.
- Leave it in your medicine cabinet. In a waterproof (aka, spillproof) container , and also leave some sort of stirring utensil with it. When it’s time to use, simply stir it up, and scoop some out.
I always need to use my hands to rub it in, regardless of whether it was cold or room temperature, so make sure you’re by a sink where you can wash your hands.
The End! Let me know how it works for you!